Sunday, April 27, 2008

Email from Jon (April '07)

Per Grandma's request, I have pasted an email that I sent to my mom a week back.

----------------------------------------------------------------

I was thinking about Dad as a trigger when I heard the song "Just the Way You Are" by Billy Joel (Jefra hit that song dead on in a video a while back as a good fit for Dad and I could not agree more . . I feel like he is around when I hear it). Anyway, I started looking through old emails to see when the last email correspondence from Dad was via email and it just happened to be a year ago from this last Monday. I will insert the email here and comment after:

From: jonstarr@aol.com
To: jonstarr@aol.com
Sent: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 12:30 PM
Subject: Re: Any luck with BYU

Shane I guess Mom told you about the bone cancer on my back and in the brain. Bummer. Well, I will continue to pray and trust in God. If it goes the other way,I will have had the best wife, children,sons and daughters in law and grandkids one could have. We some how believe we are entitled to 85 years plus on this earth. Not so. It's what the lord gives us as the time for us.
Did you resolve the BYU inspection?
Ashton will need to know not to freez the pipes in winter at vivian or Provo over christmas break. where all the tools and supplies are in the basement and back of the garage
Mom just said you got a washing machine.
Did you tape up the Provo business license visable from the street?
Did you go through the keys for Provo, Vivian (the boys have 3 sets could you arrange to check them out -with Ashton) as well as Park City? We need to have exact knowledge where the keys are ALWAYS. Also the leases.
We should try and lease to the 7 students next fall now should we not? Anyone coming back for another year and do they have the BYU 07-08 leases yet?
Anything I forgot? No seniors?
sorry for the cancer relaps when there are so many important things to see it your s and LULUS life.
love
Dad

This was after he had the serious blow of information that he was not progressing but digressing rapidly. Who apologizes that their deathly cancer has relapsed!!!! This was a hard email for me to reread (as well as read the first time). I thought it was very timely to look up this email seeing that it was just one year ago that he really started to dive and to think how much has happened since then. It was this time last year that was the turning point for near inevitability. I thought it a tender mercy to hear the song and almost feel his presence and reread this message almost as if it were being read to me for the first time. What a sweet spirit he became!

I also realize that I can never really understand the gravity of Mom's situation. I am TRULY sorry for your loss, Mom. I think if Lydia (and the others to come) were out of the house and all the sudden Lauren is taken form me!

We love you Mom/Mockie!

Shane, Lauren, lil lyddie lu
Bryn, Joel, Abby, JJ, Lukey-baby
Jefra, David, Evey, Bootchie and newskie (???)

No comments: